Welcome

In this blog I will be sharing my classic Motorcycle retoration projects and experiences starting with a 1961 BSA Super Rocket coversion to a BSA Rocket Gold Star Cafe Racer. Followed by a 1961 Ariel "Golden" Arrow Super Sport. I also have a 1960 Lambretta LI150 and a 1954 BSA Bantam 150 Major.

If you are renovating a classic bike and using this blog for help, please read the whole blog first, as I make mistakes and then have to correct them. It will save you doing the same.

Saturday 21 July 2012

2. BSA A10 My Background


The initial Strip started.
  I should say at this point that I have had no previous experience of working on a BSA A10. But my background is that I became an apprentice motor mechanic when I left school in 1965 and spent 7 years in the motor trade working for VW, Mercedes, Fiat plus working on lots of British cars in the 60's. 


I have also had a long interest in Lambretta scooters and have completely renovated one that cost me £5 scrap to its present condition which is now valued at £10,000 and regularly wins prizes at vintage shows,

The two pictures show the scooter before and after. So with the scooter project completed, I was looking for a new challenge.

I was very surprised at the radical differences between engineering approaches comparing the 1960 Italian scooter with the 1961 BSA A10 British motorcycle. Where the scooter seemed to have all of what were considered the latest innovations in 1960. The BSA seemed to be more inclined to stick to well proven methods and somewhat older engineering principles. However the BSA was very sturdy to the point of being extremely heavy and there seemed to be no real attention paid to weight saving. This was going to be a real challenge, to bring the BSA up to the same standard and finish as had been achieved with the scooter.

I would love to read your comments on this blog. If you would like to make some please click "Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)" at the bottom of this page. If you would like to be automatically informed when a new episode is posted then please tick the "Join this site" box at the bottom of the page. Thanks for reading. Kevin

 Copyright K. Hopcroft 21.07.12 All rights reserved
 You can contact me on: hopcroftscoot@gmail.com

My Other Blogs:

1961 Ariel Arrow Super Sport Motorcycle :
http://60sclassicmotorbikes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/1961-aerial-golden-arrow-restoration.html

Miniature Land Rover Defender:
http://miniaturelandrover.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/1-miniature-land-rover-defender-idea.html?view=timeslide

1971 VW Karman Ghia Convertible Car:
http://karmannghiarestoration.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/1-karmann-ghia-retoration-project.html

Motorcycle Trailers / Caravans:
http://motorcycletrailersandcaravans.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/1-motorcycle-trailers-problem.html

No comments:

Post a Comment